This gluten free Pasta e Fagioli is a lightning fast soup to prepare if you have made the ditaloni pasta ahead of time.
This combination of pasta and beans creates a complete protein with all your essential amino acids. Hearty and filling this soup will keep away a winter’s chill. The proportions are really only a guideline to get you started but note that this is intended to be a very thick soup.
Free From: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Sesame, Potato Flour/Starch & Nuts
Serves 4 – 6
½ batch ditaloni pasta*
2 – 3 cloves garlic
1 – 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
6 bacon rashers or 100g pancetta
2 cans cannellini beans
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
Cracked pepper, olive oil & hot sauce to serve
1. Finely dice the garlic and rosemary then set aside.
2. Dice the bacon and then fry in the soup pot until crispy. Remove half the bacon and set aside for garnish. Add the garlic and rosemary and gently fry for 3 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the cannellini beans then add to the pot, fry a little then add 1 can of water and the tomato paste.
4. Using a hand held blender roughly blend the soup (you still want some beans left whole) then add in the pasta and boil until the pasta is al dente.
5. Serve with the reserved bacon and cracked pepper sprinkled on top. Drizzle a little olive oil over the soup and let everyone add their own hot sauce to taste.
You can substitute 1 – 2 teaspoons of bacon stock for the bacon if you wish, or leave out altogether for a vegetarian dish.
Add 1 cup of soffritto along with the beans for an extra vegetable boost. Or soffritto can be used as a replacement for the rosemary and garlic.
Pasta e Ceci – substitute the cannellini beans for canned chickpeas and you have made a whole new dish!
*Ditaloni pasta shape recipe p.66 of the Goodness Me it’s Gluten Free PASTA cookbook.