This quick and easy gluten free shortbread looks stunning when cut into heart shapes and sprinkled with jelly crystals or drizzled with dark chocolate.
Perfect to show that special someone just how much you love them.
Free From: Gluten, Wheat, Soy, Sesame, Potato Flour/Starch & Nuts
125g (4.4oz) butter
½ cup (100g) castor sugar
1 cup (150g) Baking Blend*
¼ teaspoon salt
Extra Baking Blend for rolling out.
1. Preheat oven to 150°C fan bake. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Set aside.
2. In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar, using an electric beater on high speed, until creamy and pale.
3. Add in the Baking Blend and salt and mix until well combined.
4. Lightly dust the working surface with flour then tip out the crumbly dough. Once it’s collected all together, knead into a log shape.
5. Divide the log into six portions and roll out one portion with a dusted rolling pin until 6 – 8mm (¼”) thick.
6. Cut out shapes (cookie cutters are good for this) and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough has been used. Dust the surface again as you reroll out dough if needed to prevent sticking.
7. In very hot weather, put shortbread in the refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes before baking.
8. Bake at 150°C fan bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray.
10. While cooling sprinkle with jelly crystals if desired or drizzle with a little melted chocolate.
11. Remove to cake rack to finish cooling.
12. When cold store in an airtight container.
For traditional looking shortbread cut rolled dough into oblong shapes and prick surface with a fork before baking