For a healthier St Patrick’s Day dinner try these green fritters. They are delicious and packed full of vitamins! In fact they are so good you might decide to enjoy them all year round.
Bunch of silverbeet (25 leaves)
1 cup (125g) grated cheddar cheese
¼ cup (40g) Baking Blend*
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
Oil for cooking
1. Take the stems out of the silverbeet and steam until just tender.
2. Drain leaves and chop finely. Drain again. Leave to cool.
3. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze any remaining water from the chopped leaves.
4. Break eggs into a medium sized bowl and lightly beat. Add chopped silverbeet.
5. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
6. Heat a frying pan on a medium heat add in a little cooking oil.
7. Test a little of the batter in the oil. It should sizzle but not turn brown and crispy too soon.
8. Place Tablespoons of mixture into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes on the first side.
9. Carefully turn over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
10. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
11. Serve immediately or allow to cool and refrigerate. These gluten free green fritters are great for lunchboxes.