These Cheesy Puffs are our take on the traditional Brazilian bread Pão de Queijo which is very similar to Colombian Pan de Bono.
Wherever you choose to draw your inspiration from now you too can bring a little bit of South America into your kitchen with these moreish morsels of gluten free cheesy goodness.
Free From: Gluten, Wheat, Soy, Sesame, Potato Flour/Starch & Nuts.
Makes approx. 2 dozen
100g (4oz) butter
½ teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
1 cup (250ml) water
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups (165g) tapioca flour/starch
½ cup (75g) Bread Blend* (or a further ½ cup (55g) tapioca)
1 teaspoon flavoured stock – garlic powder, bacon stock or chicken stock (optional)
Pinch cayenne pepper(optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1½ cups (185g) cheddar cheese (grated)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) fan bake.
2. Lightly oil two mini muffin pans and set aside (or line a baking tray with baking paper).
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the turmeric.
4. Add water and salt and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
5. In a separate bowl mix together the tapioca, Bread Blend, flavourings and pepper.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan stirring constantly until thoroughly mixed into a thick dough.
7. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated (this can take some time), then add the cheese and mix until it’s a smooth but thick, sticky dough.
8. Fill each mini muffin pan with the dough either rolling into walnut size balls with your hands or if your dough is too sticky use two spoons to plop the dough into the pans.
9. Bake at 200°C (400°F) fan bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden all over.
10. Best enjoyed while warm or within an hour or two of baking.
You will find the consistency of the dough will vary each time you make these but don’t panic, or add any extra ingredients, just keep going with the recipe, they will turn out delicious whatever the starting texture is. If the dough is thick roll into walnut size balls by hand, if its sticky use two spoons to plop portions into the muffin tins. The Cheesy Puffs can also be made on a tray covered with baking paper if you don’t have mini muffin pans. Don’t be concerned if the inside of the puffs looks moist as this is normal, it will be cooked.
Variations: Add chives or bacon bits or blue cheese or other savoury flavours diced small.